Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Cleaning up my Workbench


The Workbench in July 2019
My approach in painting miniatures is simple; Paint something which attracts you the most. The advantage is that you are always highly motivated. Unfortunately, it happens that you loose your interest before a project is finished. You grab the next one or move on to a different project. Therefore, my shelf of shame with all my unfinished projects is a large one. Becoming a Daddy has made things more complicated. My painting time devides into evenings doing the night shift by taking care for our little boy. As I am mostly tired from the day my painting concentrates on doing simple work like basic colours, simple transitions with less colours like in NMM, big surfaces, bases and so on. When having some spare time on the weekend I use it for work which needs much concentration like Freehands, finelining, painting eyes and so on. As you can image I do not have much spare time on the weekends which results in an unfinished miniature accumulation. When you are following this project you already noticed that half a dozen Cold Ones are still waiting to get saddled by their missing knights. However, when I started my work on the Cold Ones some of the infantry troopers become victims of loosing interest. From time to time I continued work on them but finally two executioners and two Witch Elf stuck in the pile for getting their finish sessions. Therefore, I decided that the July will be the month to finish all that stuff from my 4th Edition Dark Elves project that stucks somewhere in my painting pipeline. Lets see what we have here:


Executioners

The Workbench in end of 2018
I started painting the first three Executioners in end of November 2018. Quickly I concentrated on one miniature which left the two unfished troopers behind. My interest then quickly changed to the Cold One Knights and I wanted to paint a test miniature of this cavalery unit. The two unfinished Executioners patiently waited for their time to come.





During that time I had some smaller painting sessions on the hoodies, base and the black leather. Finally, they waited until mid of July 2019 to see a brush again. I started with finishing the chainmail, silver and gold elements, the gems as well as some correction work on all finished parts.


The next sessions covered the axes which were a lot of fun to paint. Finally I painted the leather, base and some battle damage as well as some blood on the axes.

Finished NMM on the two new collegues


I am happy that these two maniacs have joined their collegue to sever some limbs and heads.


 


Witch Elves

These two girls waited more than half a year to get finished.The Witch Elf in defending position was the last girl from the first rank which I started painting with the two other girls from the left flank in 2018. You can see her leying around in the first executioner picture above. The latter two were quickly finished but the motivation left me to continue with this third one.








The girl with the raising swords is from the second rank and joined her later to motivate me. From time to time I spent some painting time in both but quickly concentrated on this second Witch Elf as she was much more detailed and thrilling to paint.






Again the front rank girl was left unfinished behind. I do not know why this particular Witch Elf had her difficulties motivating me to finish her. I told her story in our Tabletop-Board and some angry members put up the pressure which was necessary to get the job done.




Sometimes a whip is motivating more than hundreds of nice words!

The Witch Elves Unit so far. Ready to shed some blood
       

Dark Elf Warriors

When ever I had some spare times in the early mornings while my little boy still sleeps I had a coffee and continue to prepare some troopers for my 20 miniature Dark Elf warrior unit. It took me a while to collect these very rare metal versions of the Dark Elf Warriors. Now, I am happy that the first 10 miniatures are prepared and ready for painting. I think I am going with some red colours for this regiment.

The first Dark Elves Warriors prepare theirselves for some undercoat



Sorceress on Dark Pegasus and Plastic Sorceress on foot 

Finally, I have a small teaser for you.

Two Sorceresses on their way to lead a new wing of this army


First, the Talisman Sorceress on foot. I get this plastic miniature from ebay. It was painted ok but with very very thick layers of paint and primer. It was hell to get this miniatures stripped from the paint and to prepare her for painting. Because this girl is a bit smaller compared to the metal miniatures, I put her on a bit higher base design to cover her size. Here she comes, ready for painting.



I also prepared the mighty sorceress on black pegasus. The challenge on this miniature was to create a base which supports the impression that this beast is just jumping to fly up into the air. As you can imagine it was a lot of planning and trying to get this heavy metal miniature balanced. But see it by youself.


                                                                       Its all about Balance


I hope you like my progress. As always I am happy to read your thoughts in the comments.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, certainly the best dark elves I've seen and that basing... definitely inspired by your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Rusty! I am trying to make it as beautiful as I can and the goal is to make it the most complete Dark Elves Army. I am glad that you like my work and that it inspires yours.

      Delete