Saturday, October 27, 2018



Oldhammer


I painted this little evil fellow for introducing myself to the Oldhammer community on Facebook. I have been collecting and painting citadel miniatures for over 20 years now. I started 1998 in the 5. Edition with my first Dark Elves army. The love for these evil pointy eared bastards accompanied me since then and I collected miniature through most editions. Recently, I came across Orlyggs Blog: Realm ofChaos 80 and my interest in the old miniatures ignited again. I used the nostalgic feeling, took this old dark elves champion out of the box and enjoyed to gives this little guy a paint job with all the skills I gained through the last years. I had a lot of fun with this guy and I was surprised about the degree of detail you can get out of these old sculpts. 

I decieded to painted the miniature in purple/ red colour scheme. In contrast to the Eavy Metal paint job I painted the skull applications and shoulder armor in gold instead of in bone colour. The NMM helped to increase the depth of detail. I used brownish glazes in the armour and bluish glazes in the sword.


 
The backside of the cloak was painted in purple with some freehand work on it. I used the 4. Edition army book for inspiration. There I finde some nice line work and a skull which I combined to create the final design. I did a small scetch to realize the final look and painted the whole thing on the cloak. For this I started with draft using Screaming Skull which helps me to lighten the background. The draft is then coloured using the NMM colours. I dislike that the NMM turned out a bit more satturated compared to rest of the NMM. This is propably related the differences in the undercoat. Here a final picture of a slightly different angle: 




Finaly, you can see here the Champion against his old cousin painted around the year 2000 and the improvment in my painting skills during the last years:




Now I am curious how some other old miniatures would look when painted again after 20 years. I would enjoy to complete my collection this way and also to explore the older 3. Edition miniatures. 
Kind Regards,
GeOrc 


1 comment: