Saturday, March 28, 2020

2020 Review and Preview


The Dark Elves Sorceress riding Dark Pegasus dominated
dominated the Workbench in January and February 2020
Unbelivable that this is my first post in 2020. Meanwhile it is already late in March and the world is running through a pandemic crisis. The lock down has also hit Germany and for the first time this year I feel that I came to a rest. So where I am now and what happened.
So far it was a busy year. I started 2020 going into parental leave. We had a nice and relaxed vacation in the first week of January before I started to introduce our little boy to his new day care. Unfortunately, work followed me on my heels. There was much to do and I had to care though I was officially absent for the whole month. This collapsed completly when our day care taker becomes ill and I had to take care for the boy and the job. Things did not get better in the following weeks. The February was dominated by a high work load in my research job and March was dominated by illness of one or more family members. The first day I felt healthy again was when writing these lines. But not everything was bad. We had also a lot of fun and good times and here and there was also some spare time for the hobby. As always when I am terrible busy I concentrate on painting miniatures to get my energy back rather than writing blog articles. Correction... Painting and... buying miniatures.

That´s what this blog article will be about what happened on my workbench and what awaits you later this year.


Tactica 2020
Meeting Aly Morrison at Tactica 2020 in Hamburg
On February 15th to 16th the Tactica Event in Hamburg, Germany took place. This yearly event is all about SciFi/ Fantasy and historical wargaming for hobby people all around europe. Knowing that Aly Morrison and the Perry Twins are regular guests of this events made it a must visit in my time schedule. As I am writing with Aly Morrison since a while about my Dark Elves project, meet him in person, talk about his design work and show him my painted Dark Elves was something I dreamed for a long time now. Additionally, there was a chance to meet a lot of my painting people and other people I know from my tabletop forums. I started my trip on saturday morning with a box full of grim and sinister Dark Elves and get on my way to Hamburg. And what should I say... It was brilliant and mind blowing!

After a first chat with forum people I met at the entrance and some purchases I met Aly in person. This meeting was truely my highlight of the weekend. Aly is a very nice, funny and communictive guy and we enjoyed a lot talking about the design of his Dark Elves range in the early 90s, all about Marauder miniatures and design and sculpting topics. Occasionally, I showed him and the Perry twins my painted miniatures. All three enjoyed my painting and I was happy to get a lot of positive feedback for it. We continued our conversation and all togehter we had a three hours talk through the whole afternoon partly accompanied by some other friends visiting us. Needless to say that now I have tons of information to support my Dark Elves project with interesting stories, design notes and insider information. Be sure to read some of it in my upcoming articles.


The lead pile
The lead pile has grown massively in the last months and thanks to some extraordinary gentlemen my collection has extended by some very special and rare miniatures. Impossible to go through all new stuff but I want to point out some miniatures and the people I have to thank! Due to privacy I shorten the names. You fantastic guys know yourself when reading. If you want to see your full name, let me know. 

Marauder Miniatures - Chaos Army
Marauder Miniatures Chaos Army
Inspired by Ernst W. and his awesome Chaos Army my heart was already weakend for this fantastic range of miniatures designed by Aly Morrison and Trish Carden. Thanks to Ernst I get in contact with Christian V. who sold my a small chaos force consisting of a Knight, a Warrior, a full regiment of Beastmen and Thugs and a Beastmaster with Hounds. Dozens Ebay Auctions later I had a full army consisting nearly of all miniatures made of this range. So far only 5 CD90 Chaos Dwarfs were missing. The picture shows most of the stuff but some of the miniatures are still in their acetone bath for stripping the old paint. Unfortunately, also some recasts sneaked into this beautiful collection. I have to check if I can use them or if I have to replace them by the original ones. There is still a lot of work to do the preparations. But, my mind is already working for a paint scheme and basing ideas. I am really looking forward in excitement to this future project.

Realm of Chaos
Unreleased penis-headed Beastmen
There was need to get the original Realm of Chaos Books for diving deeper into Warhammer 3rd Edition. These books were really two masterpieces Games Workshop built an empire on. There is so much creativity and inspiration in it influencing the path of this company until today. Thanks to Steve C. and his continous support I was able to create a small Chaos Warband consisting of mostly Slaanesh miniatures and some outstanding pieces of this old genius minature range. In this regard I am very proud to get the two unreleased Bob Olleys Penisheaded Beastmen from Jason L. It is never to late start collection the famous lead of the 80s.


Great Spined Dragon
The Great Spined Dragon
There is no collection complete without one of the most beautiful dragons Games Workshop ever created. Since I noticed this dragon the first time in the famous Dark Elves Army from Scott Goldstein aka Lion of Flanders I wanted this beast. For a long time it was on my list and I searched Ebay auctions and the market places to get one for a reasonable priece. End of last year I was successful and get this beautiful beast from a collector in Denmark. It is in a very good condition but need some love and some paint. I am still unsure in which army I will place it but I think it will be a pointy eared one.

4t Edition Dark Elves
Unreleased Dark Elves Sorceress II
Even if my 4th Edition Dark Elves range is nearly complete it sill misses some of the rare and unreleased miniatures. Two cruel and deadly ladys I am looking since ages are the two unreleased Sorceresses. In January around my birthday I put up a wanted list in the Oldhammer Trading Group on Facebook asking for these girls and promissing to paint them best I can and offering a special place in my heart and in my cabinet. And what to say, I was more than happy when Emiel S. offered me one of my holy grails. Even if Emiel is a good painter himself he never felt comfortable painting her. He is happy now that she is out of her dark box and in a new home by her unreleased friends where she will get the painting she deserves. I am very thankful for this awesome miniature and won´t dissapoint Emiel. She is already in preparation and in my schedule to get painted. Stay tuned.


The Workbench

In preparation

Beastlord Rakarth riding Black Dragon while preparation
A lot of miniatures have seen the workbench for getting their preparation in 2020. There were some Spearmen, the unreleased Sorceress and some others. But, after the Sorceress rode her Pegasus directly in my cabinet some space on my workbench was free for the next big monster. Therefore, I started to clean and build the Beastlord Rakarth and his Black Dragon. These old monster kits need a lot of love in terms of pinning and gap filling. Consequently, this kit still needs a lot of work to become ready for painting, Additionally, there is need for a proper base, which still makes me some headaches. It was planned to put him on a stairway with some broken obelisks. Unfortunately, the dragon pose does not work with my inital plan. We will see how I can solve these problems. With time comes a solution. Until then I clean more Spearmen and Crossbowmen and build bases for them. There are still tons of miniatures left which need my knife and sanding paper.


In painting

Pegasus work in progress
Even if there was no much progress on the blog, there was a lot of painting going on the last weeks and months. January and February were dominated by the Sorceress riding Dark Pegasus. She took a lot of time and luckily I was still in my parental leave in January. I wanted to finish her in time to be part of my showcase I showed to Aly in Hamburg. I finished her just in time but was not able to finish her banner pole and her banner. Both are still work in progress. Especially the banner is a really difficult one, as I am dislike the original one and wanted to optimize its design. It took a lot of drawings to get a proper result and now there is need to bring this a freehand on paper. I am still looking for the perfect motivation to get this banner done.

While shirking away from painting the banner I procrastinate in painting everything else which lies around unfinished on my workbench. In this regard three unfinished command crews crossed my way which was a good possibility to get some more banner and freehand excercise. I was able to finish the Command Crew for the Warriors in March. The article for them is following in the next weeks. Additionally, I started my work on the Command Crew for the Executioners... and one more trooper, needed to finish the first rank.    



There is also a third Command Crew, but these guys are from a really fast and sneaky regiment which makes it currently impossible to take pictures. But I stay tuned to get these guys in front of the camera.

So, that´s it for the moment. I hope you enjoyed the summary of the last weeks and months. I hope to finish some more articles in the next weeks. I am looking forward to show you the Warriors with their new Command Crew and also I have tons of pictures of the Sorceress and her Pegasus waiting to be shown. Stay tuned and stay healthy!!

As always I am happy to read your thoughts in the comments.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc

10 comments:

  1. You tease, sir, with this absence of Sorceress pics. We know you have them now. DISPENSE. RELEASE. SHOW US YOUR WITCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon,
      I will ;) I am still thinking if I should splitt her progress in two articles which would allow to show her now without banner?!

      Delete
  2. You lucky guy! You had a babble with the gods of the Citadel Olympus. Nice post, very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      thanks a lot! Yes the babble was very enlightening ;) Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. A splendidly busy post Georg ...
    It looks like you won’t be getting bored...

    It was really great to meet up and see you and your lovely toys in the person... hopefully we will be able to do the same next year...
    I am rather impressed that I actually look fairly human in that picture...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly,
      Haha. No, there will be no time to get bored ;)
      It was a really fantastic meeting and thank you again for all the information and the nice feedback for my painting. Thanks also for the picture. I took the one you look the most young, tall and handsome ;)
      I am looking forward to meet you again next year. Therefore, stay save and healthy !!

      All the best. Georg

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear of your woes, but great to hear of your successes. Very interested to see some of these projects coming to fruition in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Kym,
      my focus is still on my Dark Elves and there are a couple of miniatures I want to finish first before starting on a different miniature range to get some variety :)

      Delete
  5. First I have to congratulate you again to your astonishing mounted sorceress, very inspiring. Once again that you showed with your excellent brushwork what beauties These old, handsculpted miniatures are.
    I am already Looking Forward to what you will do with the Chaos models. Will it be more uniform or more variations? Anyway it will be great. I also spotted some Chaos minis which I do not have myself, what a shame ;-).
    Great Progress in your Collection!
    Ernst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ernst,
      Thanks a lot! A shame that the Pegasus Sorceress is still waiting for her Banner. I hope to get the problems with the Banner solved and to finish her soon. There are still some Dark Elves miniatures I want to finish before I will start 1-3 Chaos Miniatures to get some variety. I am really looking forward to paint the CD90s ;)

      Delete