Monday, January 18, 2021

2020 Review and 2021 Preview

When writing these lines a strange and crazy year lies behind us and it looks like this will accompany us far into the new year. The COVID-19 pandemic has dominated most of our lifes in 2020 with all the changes and restrictions. I am happy that I and my family haven´t suffered much from all that and we are thankful for that we and our beloved ones are still healthy and spared by any crisis. We keep distance and concentrated on our little son and on ourselves. Therefore, 2020 wasn´t a bad year in collecting and painting Citadel Miniatures. I get into touch with fantastic people and received a lot of positive feedback for my project. Additionally, a lot of beautiful moments happend and I was witness of great generosity. Time to look back and be thankful again!

Painting my Dark Elves

2020 was a year I further concentrated on painting my 4th Edition Dark Elves Army. I finished the Sorceress riding the Dark Pegaus in February and her banner in November. Therefore, she is definitly a 2020 miniature. Then I painted the Command Crew for my Warriors in April. The summer was domiated by painting the unreleased Sorceress 2 and the replica of the unreleased Sorceress which keeps me busy several months. In autumn I was able to finish my unreleased Dark Rider unit. This was a project I work secretly for more than 1.5 years on including sculpting, conversions, casting and painting. I enjoyed this project a lot especially the work and all the conversation I had with Aly Morrison about it. Last but not least I cleaned my workbench in december and finished my Executioner Command Crew and some Cold One Knights. Taken together that was a lot of output for one year and I it was and is a joy to see the army in my cabinet growing. Time to show you current state. Here is the army shot so many of you asked for:

 

4th Edition Dark Elves Army by mid of January 2021


 There is still a lot to do and so man miniatures to paint. Thanks to the fantastic work of Aly, Trish and Colin from Marauder Miniatures this never gets boring. The next additions are already on my workbench to strengthen my ranks and add further dread characters. 

 

Collecting Citadel Miniatures

2020 was also a very successful year in collecting miniatures. I was able to receive a lot the rare and unreleased Dark Elves miniatures which was missing in my collection. It was a big joy to get the unreleased Sorceress 2 in the beginning of the year from Emiel which you can spot already painted in the army picture above. I got then totally crazy when I was able to get my hand on the three unreleased chimeras, Trishs unreleased prototype dragon and an unreleased 3rd Edition Dark Elves steed. A further highlight was receiving the replica of the unreleased Dark Elves Sorceress 1. 

Their painting motivated Bruce to sell me his original copy of the unreleased Sorceress 1 and with that I received my holy grail! I freaked out when she arrived at my place and for months I stared at her on my workbench in disbelief. Meanwhile this beauty is prepared and primed waiting for the perfect moment to get painted. Even if I can´t wait to start painting her I do not want to rush. Beside all these crazy miniatures, a lot of other stuff joined my collections. Some for my 3rd Edition Marauder Dark Elves army, some for my 3rd Edition Marauder Chaos army as well as some High and Wood Elves. Taken together enough materials for the next dozen projects after having finished this Dark elves Army.

 

 

Finally, I was able to get some original Dark Elves Artworks from Mark Gibbons and Des Hanley. Three artworks from the 4th Edition Armybook get into my collection, get framed and now decorate our entrance hall. It is a joy to look every day on these awesome masterpieces!

My three original Dark Elves Artworks from Mark Gibbons and Des Hanley decorating our entrance hall

 

Gentelmen and lovely people

Aly and myself in February 2020 in Hamburg
One Highlight in 2020 was for sure meeting Aly Morrison in February in Hamburg! I enjoyed our talks so much and it was great to get his feedback for painting his miniatures. Unfortunately, the pandemic will prevent a meeting in 2021. Hopefully, times will change and we will see again in 2022. Also a big thank you goes out to the gentle collectors who sold me their rareties to complete my collection. Without you the project in this depth wouldn´t be possible and you can be sure that all your precious miniatures get painted and will receive a special place in my cabinet and in my heart. A further thank you to the unknown artist who sculpted the replica of the unreleased Sorceress 1. It was a joy to paint this mniature and finally she helped me to receive copy of the very rare original... Thanks mate! A last Highlight in 2020 for me was the message I received from the exGW Eavy Metal painter Mark Leake. He was definiatly one of the painters who inspired me su much in the early days and I remember his work on the cauldron of blood totally blown me away when starting the hobby 23 years ago. His nice feedback and offers helping me with this project means a lot to me! Finally, my greetings and thanks go out to all the people who enjoy this blog, my painting and miniature art. Without your constant feedback and motivating words this would not be possible. Thank you all for your constant support.

 

Outlook 2021

2021 will be a further year of the Dark Elves. There is still some unfinished work in progress stuff on my workbench and further miniatures and units are already prepared awaiting their painting. Next will be definiatly two further Cold One Knights. Then I will paint my unreleased Dark Elves Sorceress 1. Then I would be happy to finish my units of Witch Elves and Executioners. For each of both regiments only 4 miniatures are missing to have a playable unit. Beside that, a unit of Spearmen and a unit of Repeating Crossbows are prepared to strengthen my army. Two unreleased chimeras and Rakarth wait to get their bases finished. You see there are already a lot of things on my schedule and I promise it won´t get boring.

Can you spot some of the crazy stuff which you can expect in 2021

Because the painting won´t evolve much I will further concentrate on gain new skills in basing and terrain making. Additionally, I am working on my skills taking pictures. A first results you can already see in the army picture above. I would also love to take new pictures of all my Golden Demon winning miniatures and present them with their stories here on this blog.

 

Now it´s time to return to my workbench. I hope you enjoyed my little review and my further plans for the new year. Let me know what you think and what you are working on in 2021.

Kind Regards,

GeOrc

10 comments:

  1. Very promising year! Good luck with your painting plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jaeckel! We will se how the Army Shot in earyl 2022 will look like ;)

      Delete
  2. It’s certainly been an unusual year Georg...
    It was great to meet up with you in Hamburg.... and yes it’s a shame we will have to wait another year to do it again...
    I have really enjoyed watching your collection grow...
    And I love the parade...
    Here’s to a better year ahead... and lots more toy soldiers....

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly,
      thanks a lot for your kind feedback! I am very happy that you enjoyed the army shot. It is still a small army and there are so many more miniatures and regiments I will add. This year will be promising and as you have seen I have already some nice projects prepared. I am sure some more will develop during the year :D This will help to have a good time and having much more in my box to show when we meet the next time ;)
      Stay healthy and all the best,
      Georg

      Delete
  3. Hey Georc! (Bruce here),

    Loved seeing all of the troops together.
    So glad the sorceress is bringing you such joy; she is where she needed to be!
    All the best in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bruce!
      I am glad you like the army shot. It is so much fun see this army growing and I enjoy painting every miniature for it. Sorry for having no new progress on the Sorceress. My wife said no new purchase before the work in progress stuff on the workbench has been finished. Consequently, I was a nice husband and painted all that started executioners and Cold One Knights. For the latter two more knigts are in progress and then... hopefully I can move on with the lovely Sorceress.
      Be sure I keep you updated!
      Kind Regards, GeOrc

      Delete
  4. Great work for 2020 and good luck for 2021 - that army shot is truly inspiring and making me want to dig my own Dark Elves (5th edition mainly!) out of the cupboard and start painting them again.
    Looking forward to seeing what you achieve this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Kym!
      Or paint a new one. I would love to see that!
      The more DArk Elves the better ;)

      Kind Regards,
      Georg

      Delete
  5. I started fantasy with 5th edition, so all of these fantastic paint jobs have inspired me to recollect some of my old dark elves. Regret that I sold them years ago. Really interesting reads I never knew about rare minis etc. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      It is never to late to restart in this hobby. The common 4th/5th Edition Dark Elves you get easily second hand. I can only recommend to do such a project and to paint these old metal minitures.

      Kind Regards,
      Georg

      Delete